[Mailmunge] an interesting observation

Dianne Skoll dianne at skollsoft.com
Fri Jul 2 17:39:35 EDT 2021

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 13:14:56 -0700
Alan Premselaar via Mailmunge <mailmunge at lists.mailmunge.org> wrote:

> I've installed mailmunge on a test/development server which has both
> postfix and sendmail installed.

If both are installed, Mailmunge will report that the MTA appears to
be Sendmail.  It doesn't really matter much.  If the MTA is Postfix,
Mailmunge does extra logging to compensate for the relatively-sparser
log lines that Postfix produces.  It also converts a tempfail or
rejection of RCPT: commands on the loopback address to CONTINUE
because of a restriction imposed by Postfix's non_smtpd_milters.

Other than those two things, Mailmunge's behavior is the same
regardless of the MTA.  It makes the (I think reasonable...)
assumption that you're unlikely to install both Postfix and Sendmail on
a production systtem.

Regards,

Dianne.