[Mailmunge] Change Recipient Case?

list at ptld.com list at ptld.com
Sat May 21 11:46:21 EDT 2022

>> Can mailmunge be used to force all recipient addresses to lowercase?
>> I found add_recipient() and delete_recipient() which *might* do it,
>> but my intuition thinks it might not be the best way to go about it.
>
> That is the way to do it.  However, technically the local part of an email
> address (the bit before the '@') is case-sensitive.  Specifically, forcing
> it to lower-case will break SRS-rewritten addresses.  Therefore, you should
> be selective about it and only lower-case ones that you know are safe
> to lower-case.

I see my use of "all recipient" was confusing. In better detail what im trying to accomplish is changing the recipient address to lowercase only for the purpose of mail being handed off by postfix to dovecot LMTP for delivery to the users mailbox, after the decision has been made to accept the incoming mail. Im trying to solve a dovecot short coming with case-sensitive folder forwarding.