[Mailmunge] ADMINISTRIVIA: Moving away from GitHub

John Mertz mail at john.me.tz
Thu Jun 30 17:47:49 EDT 2022

Hi Dianne,

This might not be worth the chatter for something you may have already
ruled out, but to be sure:
> My self-hosted git repo at
> https://git.skoll.ca/Skollsoft-Public/mailmunge will always be
> available. However, I'm looking for a hosted service on which people
> can file issues and open PRs. *I do not want to deal with the
> infrastructure needed to permit that.*
I'm not sure if you know that this is quite easy with your Gitea. In
Site Administration->Authentication Sources, you can set up OAuth2 with
a variety of vendors. On that page it points to the relevant docs for
each vendor.

I set up GitHub as an OAuth2 provider and it works fine. Obviously this
leads to a grey area on the degree to which it is necessary to abandon
GitHub or other vendors that are hostile to your interests. Hhaving
authentication provided by GitHub does then require that the other
contributors have GitHub account which could be see to undercuts the
point. Other than Gitea itself and GitLab, I think all of the other
options are also closed source and would defy the spirit of the SFC
article as well.

However, migrating to another, probably much less popular, platform
completely - when most people have an account with at least one of these
OAuth2 providers already - may undercut the point of allowing access to
create issues and PRs. Having to create yet another account does add
some degree of friction.

I'm actually a big fan of having GitHub projects that point to
alternative repository hosts, especially self-hosted ones. It maintains
the discoverability benefits of GitHub, while using that platform
against itself to advertise alternatives. Also leveraging it to allow
for users to more easily participate in the use of those alternatives
seems to me to be another reasonable way to use them against themselves
while the community as a whole comes to some consensus on what
alternative tools to engage with.

With the funding and support issues that full open projects often face,
it can be a risk to jump in with one just to have it either sink or have
to abandon those ethics to stay afloat. Your own self-hosted offering
does not have that problem so long as you maintain it yourself, so
providing ways to have as much activity done there as possible and
replacing the GitHub repo with a link directly to it seems like the
ideal solution to me.

Regards,
John Mertz
mail at john.me.tz